英 [ˈɔ:dnri] 美 [ˈɔ:rdneri]
形容词 普通的; 一般的; 平常的; 平庸的
1. It was a very ordinary day today.
2. The novel describes the way of life of the ordinary people there.
3. His poems are quite ordinary.
4. She had on an ordinary dress.
1. He is a man of intelligence far above the ordinary.
Ordinary people or things are normal and not special or different in any way.
e.g. I strongly suspect that most ordinary people would agree with me...
e.g. It has 25 calories less than ordinary ice cream...
If you describe someone or something as ordinary, you mean they are not special or interesting in any way and may be rather dull.
e.g. I'm just a very ordinary, boring normal guy...
e.g. Your life since then must have seemed very ordinary.
Something that is out of the ordinary is unusual or different.
e.g. The boy's knowledge was out of the ordinary...
e.g. I've noticed nothing out of the ordinary.
1. The seemingly ordinary graduate began work at an investment firm as a manager after taking a degree in international business and trade.
2. Campaigners say the scanners act like a mini radar device " seeing " beneath ordinary clothing.
3. The municipal spokeswoman yesterday announced one new jobs creation measure, allowing ordinary employers to buy into domestic businesses based in the city's Pudong New District.
4. Although modified foods have been at the dining tables of ordinary Chinese for some time, some consumers hesitate to buy such products out of perceived safety concerns.
5. Let us hope we will not have to wait too long to see changes, or at least for that day when more ordinary citizens think about buying tickets.
6. Inflation eats into ordinary people's buying power and erases part of the national income, as bubbles are not values.
7. They are torn by hand and not sliced by knife, and customers thus consider them tastier than ordinary noodles.
8. In order to differentiate from ordinary kind of food, green food is denoted by a special symbol.
9. In a Europe that has been stamped by a long religious tradition, the religious garb of the Dalai Lama naturally enjoys great popularity among ordinary people.
10. Ordinary people still mark the occasion by presenting mooncakes to the elderly as tradition demands.