Part II Vocabulary & Structure (15points)
Directions: Each of the following sentences is provided with four choices. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
16. We are having a party on Saturday, and would love to have you ______ us.
a.joined b. joins c. join d. to join
17. She had a paper ______.
a. publishes b. publishing c. published d. publish
18. Our country ______ people from all over the world.
a. is made of b. is made up of c. is consisted of d. is consisted
19. Wang Hong is working in the same lab ______ her friend Carl Cooper.
a. for b. with c. within d. to
20. Why don’t you come ______ and have dinner ______me?
a. over…for b. on…with c. over…at d. over…with
21. Thank you for your interest ______ our host family program for the overseas students in Boulder.
a. in b. on c. at d. for
22. We are having a party ______ our home ______ Saturday, ______ 6 p.m..
a. on…at…on b. at…at…on c. at…on…at d. on…on…at
23. Some people prefer to plan the course of their trip ________ .
a. to the finest detail b. within the finest detail c. on the finest details d. to the fine details
24. He Ming is ______ from college.
a. graduating b. to graduate c. graduates d. Both a and c
25. _____ the lift there ______ the third floor or just walk upstairs.
a. Have…on b. Take…to c. By…on d. Taken…by
26. Both of the company are ______ the Line Director.
a. under b. at c. in d. with
27. She asked them to report to the sales manager, ______ office is on the first floor.
a. which b. whose c. who d. that
28. First turn left on the corner and then turn right ______ the fountain.
a. in b. on c. at d. for
29. Go along the corridor ______ the hall.
a. in the middle of b. among c. between d. in center of
30. There are two sales divisions, one of ______ are under the Line Director, Mr. Smith.
a. whom b. which c. that d. them
31. Judy Black, ______ is in charge of the clerical staff, is the Office manager.
a. that b. who c. whom d. both a and b
32. Jack ______ and he can’t find the way back to the hotel.
a. was lost b. is losing c. has lost d. is lost
33. Go along this street ______ a few minutes and then ______ the next turning.
a. in…take b. for…taking c. for… take d. at…takes
34. He ______ and couldn’t find the way to the hotel.
a. puzzled b. was puzzled c. is puzzling d. has puzzled
35. Last year my brother and I stayed _____ a week _____ some friends in Boston.
a. for…and b. for…with c. till…with d. when…without
36. At the railway station, you change to No.15 bus, _______ will take you to the hotel.
a. that b. who c. which d. what
37. Excuse me, madam. I’m looking ______ 83 Shanghai Street.
a. for b. after c. up d. to
38. This time we found the church, but we ________ if everything in Boston was three blocks and a left turn away.
a. wonder b. wanted c. wondered d. wandered
39. Mr. Hall _____ his childhood in his hometown.
a. spent b. cost c. took d. had
40. Great changes ______ place in my hometown since 1978.
a. have been taken b. had taken c. took d. have taken
41. I often thought about ______ my old birthplace, but I never ______ because I had no time.
a. visiting…made that b. visiting…made it c. visit…took it d. visit…finished it
42. In 1978 China started to _____ effect the policies of reform and opening to the outside world.
a. put into the b. put into c. take into d. put in
43. If we continue to ______ the policies, I am sure that my hometown will have an ever brighter future.
a. carry with b. carry off c. carrying out d. carry out
44. Most of the people in our country have _______ poverty.
a. got off b. got of c. got rid off d. got rid of
45. I love my hometown _____ it is a beautiful place.
a. wherever b. though c. because d. unless
Part III Reading Comprehension ( 40 points )
Directions: In this part there are four passage is followed by a number of comprehension questions. Read the passage and answer the questions. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
Mrs. Brown’s old grandfather lived with her and her husband. Every morning he went for a walk in the park and came home at half past twelve for his lunch.
But one morning a police car stopped outside Mrs. Brown’s house at twelve o’clock, and two policemen helped Mr. Brown to get out. One of them said to Mrs. Brown, “The poor old gentleman lost his way in the park and telephoned us for help, so we send a car to bring him home.” Mrs. Brown was very surprised, but she thanked the policemen and they left.
“But, Grandfather,” she said, “You have been to that park nearly every day for twenty years. How did you lose your way there?”
The old man smiled, closed one eye and said, “I didn’t quite lose my way. I just got tired and I didn’t want to walk home!”
46. Who lived with Mrs. Brown’s old grandfather?
a. his wife
b. his daughter
c. his daughter and his daughter’s husband
d. all of the above
47. What did Mrs. Brown’s grandfather do every morning?
a. He went to the park.
b. He went to her daughter’s house.
c. He went to see the police car.
d. He telephoned the police.
48. What happened one morning?
a.Mrs. Brown called the police.
b.The police went to Mrs. Brown’s house to see Mrs. Brown’s grandfather.
c.Mrs. Brown’s grandfather went to the police office.
d.The police brought Mrs. Brown’s grandfather home.
49. Why was Mrs. Brown surprised?
a.Because her grandfather didn’t come back.
b.Because her grandfather was lost.
c.Because the police came to park.
d.Because her grandfather came to the police office.
50. Which of the following is true?
a.The police believed that Mrs. Brown’s grandfather lost his way.
b.Mrs. Brown believed that her grandfather lost his way .
c.Mrs. Brown’s grandfather was lost his way.
d.It turned out that Mrs. Brown’s grandfather wanted to make a joke on the police.
The United States is a very large country. It has many different kinds of landscapes and many different kinds of people.
In the East, the countryside is green and fresh. Here are some of the first states and some of the big cities. New York and the capital, Washington D.C., are in the East.
In the South, there is the beautiful city of New Orleans, the capital of jazz. It is sometimes hot here, and the people here are very different from those in the East.
The Central Plains of the United States are fertile with big fields of wheat and corn. And California, on the West Coast, is famous as a “paradise” state.
The weather in the Mid-West, near the Great Lakes, is often cold and windy, and there is a lot of snow in winter.
51. It’s well-known that the United States has many different kinds of ______.
a. landscapes b. people
c. climates d. all of the above
52. Some of the first states and some of the big cities are in the East, including ______.
a. Washington D.C. b. New Orleans
c. California d. Los Angeles
53. New Orleans is famous for its ______.
a. ballet b. country music
c. jazz d. classic
54. Big fields of wheat and corn can be found in ______.
a. the East b. the Central Plains
c. the South-West d. the South
55. The weather near the Great Lakes is often ______.
a. warm b. chill
c. cold and windy d. hot and dry
One evening Mrs. Alda asked her husband to take her to a very expensive restaurant in the city, because a lot of movie stars and other famous people ate there, and she was curious to see some of them.
Sooner after Mr. and Mrs. Alda had ordered their meal, a very attractive couple came into the restaurant and sat down at a table nearby. They were beautifully dressed. And Mrs. Alda said to her husband, “Look at those people, George! I’m sure I’ve seen their pictures somewhere.”
The couple gave their order to the waiter, and when he brought Mr. and Mrs. their soup, Mrs. Alda said to him, “Who are those people ? Do you know them?”
“Oh, they’re nobody famous,” he answered at once.
“Really?” Mrs. Alda asked with surprise. “How do you know that?”
“Because they asked me who you were,” he answered.
56.Mrs. Alda was _______ to see some of the movie stars in an expensive restaurant.
a. glad b. eager
c. sure d. happy
57.Mr. and Mrs. Alda ________ a couple at a table nearby.
a. were attracted by b. were surprised at
c. were delighted at d. were satisfied with
58.Mrs. Alda _______ the man and woman beautifully dressed.
a. thought highly of b. thought little of
c. showed no interest in d. enjoyed talking with
59.The waiter looked upon ________ as nobody famous.
a. Mr. and Mrs. Alda b. the attractive couple
c. one of the two couples d. the two couple.
Directions: Translate the following sentences into English.
71. 小马让我和他合用一把伞。( share with )
72. 赵小利正在三楼会议室参加面试( take an interview )。
73. 如果让他转车他就会迷路。( be lost )
74. 每隔四年进行一次选举。(elections)( take place )
75. 这儿过去是一片麦(wheat)田( used to )。
Part V Writing ( 10 points )
Write a note according to the Chinese sample:
71. Xiao Ma shared his umbrella with me.
72. Zhao Xiaoli is taking an interview in the meeting room on the third floor.
73. If he change twice, he will be lost.
74. Elections take up every four years.
75. Here used to be a wheat field.
Dear Ms. Wei hua,
Thank you very much for your kind invitation to dinner at your home on April 12th, which my wife and I will arrive by six.